By Our Reporter
In the last two decades, the Singha Durbar welcomed 19 prime ministers and 24 ministers were appointed to look after the water supply issue, but the valley denizens have still been to see the completion of the Melamchi Water Supply Project.
Although the project was said to be completed in 2015, the project completion date had been postponed citing the earthquake and Indian blockade. Then they developers of the project gave new deadlines of Dashain, but it never completed even after Nepalis marked three Dashains.
Now with the departure of the Italian construction company, uncertainty about the much-talked-about project has further increased.
Minister for Water Supplies Bina Magar said on Friday that water of the Melamchi River could not be brought to Kathmandu on schedule due to the negligence on the part of the contractor company.
Responding to the lawmakers during the question-answer session in the House of Representatives, Minister Magar informed that efforts were underway to return the Italian company CMC that had abandoned its contracted job.
Magar informed that the government was mulling over different alternatives so as to conclude the work of the Melamchi Water Supply Project (MWSP) at the earliest.
Minister Magar also said that she was effortful in completing the work of the MWSP as soon as possible as the success of the government was linked with the Melamchi water.
Similarly, several committees were formed to complete the project. But the committees wasted 17 years doing nothing. Still, it is uncertain whether the project will complete in five years.
Kathmandu sees 19 PMs in 20 years but no Melamchi water
By Our Reporter