Saturday , March 25 2017
Home / Commentary / Viewpoint

Viewpoint

U.S. Presidential Election : Campaigns Reach Critical Mass

By Shashi P.B.B. Malla Both the Republican and Democratic election campaigns have now reached a frenzied pitch of electioneering in all the states of the union. After a series of self-inflicted wounds by the Republican candidate Donald J. Trump, his campaign is attempting to calm the troubled waters and vociferously …

Read More »

US Presidential Election : Trump Goes on the Rampage

By Shashi P.B.B. Malla & Chandra Bahadur Parbate Both the Republican and Democratic parties are now definitely in general election mode and Republican standard bearer Donald J. Trump has ceaselessly and viciously attacked the Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton. The ‘bumps’ in the various national polls after their respective national conventions …

Read More »

Turkey’s Failed Military Coup & Its Ramifications

By Shashi P.B.B. Malla & Chandra Bahadur Parbate The failed military coup d’etat ended in triumph for President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. The violent attempt to overthrow the legitimate government was crushed at its very inception, and order restored. Many instigators and their presumed collaborators and sympathizers have been arrested. It …

Read More »

US Republicans & Democrats in General Election Mode

By Shashi P.B.B.Malla With the Republican National Convention already completed and the Democratic National Convention slated this week, it can be said that both parties have now started their campaigns for the general election on November 8.  Both candidates for president have also chosen their presumptive vice president. For ninety …

Read More »

International Court Rejects China’s Claims in South China Sea

By Shashi P.B.B. Malla & Chandra Bahadur Parbate The Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) in The Hague last week firmly rejected China’s claims that it had “historical rights” in the South China Sea through its ‘nine-dash line’ (from maps dating back to the 1940s) claiming sovereignty over 90 percent of …

Read More »

Is the South China Sea a Chinese Lake?

malla

International Court to Arbitrate Conflicting Claims By Shashi P.B.B. Malla This week, a landmark ruling on an arbitration case filed by the Philippines that seeks to contest China’s expansive territorial claims in the South China Sea (SCS) will lay the future contours of International Law in particular, and International Politics …

Read More »

Brexit & its Aftermath

“No man is an Island, entire of itself; Every man is a piece of the Continent, a part of the main; If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less.” – John Donne BY SHASHI P.B.B. MALLA & CHANDRA BAHADUR PARBATE The U.K.’s referendum which went …

Read More »

Britain & Europe: A Parting of the Ways

BY SHASHI P.B.B. MALLA Why did the UK decide to leave?: The U.K. has voted to leave the European Union (EU) following an historic referendum on its membership with 52 percent voting for leaving or ‘Brexit” and 48 percent for remaining. The die is now cast, but how and why …

Read More »

Dangers of Britain Exiting the European Union

‘Great Britain’ may transform into ‘Little England’ BY SHASHI P.B.B. MALLA & CHANDRA BAHADUR PARBATE This Thursday, June 23rd, a very great transformation may occur not only in the islands of the United Kingdom, but also in continental Europe, and by inference also in the world at large. On this …

Read More »